Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Num Num

I was really craving some kind of loaf + mashed taters for dinner, so I thought I give that "Magical Loaf Studio," a whirl ( I can't believe this exists!!)


This was yummy, but didn't stay together at all. Also, crispy lentils on the outside aren't that good, but the inside was!

Magical Lentil Loaf ( I wasn't too concerned about being exact with ingredients, as it was a total made-up recipe to begin with. And I added way more spices, 'cuz that's how I roll)
Ingredients:

2 TB olive oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
One cup mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
a few big leaves of chopped kale
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup crushed cereal flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
1 heaping TB flaxseed meal
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 TB nutritional yeast flakes
2 TB ketchup
Several dashes vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. salt
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).

Sauté any vegetables you've chosen in the olive oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice. Slather with Ketchup!




Ice Pumpkin cookies! I made these last week, to use up some of the leftover pumpkin I had. I veganized this recipe, by replacing the egg with egg replacer and a tsp or so of flax meal (to maybe make them chewy. I'd just use a flax-egg next time around, as they were a bit cakey-but still yummers!) and the milk with soy milk, butter with earth balance. They came out really, really good, and I would def. make these again.

2 comments:

  1. HA! I was just looking at this tonight. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the magical loaf studio is so cool! thanks for drawing my attention to it :) your particular loaf looks mighty yummy, as do those lovely cookies!

    ReplyDelete