Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Summer Food

Crazy-big haul.

I love the dog days of summer, where there is so much abundance at the farmer's market.  My fruit and veg haul was crazy huge this past week, so we have been having super-summer dinners all week. So so good.  These are the things I savor (literally!) and love about summer.  Nik and I helped distribute the shares for our CSA this past saturday, and it was a fun people/dog-watching morning in the park.  There was a little pup amputee with two rear wheels instead of legs that basically broke my heart.  So many Great Danes live in my neighborhood, and I just cannot fathom what kind of apartments these owners have that hold such gigunda dogs...

I froze a lot of stuff, corn and zuchini and pesto, in preparation for the dead-zone of winter where I will be craving some fresh veggies that don't have a root attached to it.   I love pulling out fresh corn off the cob on Thanksgiving day! 



A peek at the CSA pickup

I was the fruit lady, handing out peaches and melons.

Eggplant wings (basically just breaded eggplant smothered in a hot bbq sauce), watermelon, and a salad with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and avocados (red wine vinegar/olive oil/salt/pepper dressing)


Sauteed tofu and onions in spices, corn on the cob, and green beans

5 comments:

  1. you need to invite me over for dinner, these looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks awesome! I will come over the our 3 Great Danes so you can see what it is like to have big dogs in small spaces, we just require dinner (me) and hugs (dogs) in exchange. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That food looks delicious!!
    Every weekend I work at Ireland biggest farmers market, I'm so lucky to be around amazing food all the time. I posted about a recipe/concoction on my blog yesterday(a rare thing for me as I mostly blog about crafty things)

    Ps: Hi from your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omgosh!! Those veggies!!

    That tofu looks great! What did you put on it?

    ReplyDelete