Thursday, July 17, 2008

Yeti Momma



A friend of mine just had a baby and I just saw the first pictures today...beyond cuteness!! I was thinking about her today on my lunch break; wondering how life with a new little person must be. It's super-hot outside today, but I was chilled to the bone from the work AC so it didn't bother me so much. They opened up the grassy area in Madison Square Park, so I basked in the sun and doodled baby yetis.

I went to hear Naomi Klein speak last night at Barnes and Noble. I haven't read her new book, "The Shock Doctrine," yet, but she certainly convinced me. She didn't go to into the book itself, but talked about current events that relate to her thesis for this book. She talked about this fear of oil that this country is facing and how the pundits are basically reiterating big oil's agenda instead of pushing for exploration of new resources to ween ourselves off our addiction to oil. We were on the right path a few months ago, when other resources were brought to the table, but it has quickly changed by a fire-spreading lies that we need to drill in Alaska, for instance, which in fact would be an ecological disaster. She talked about how society is being fed lies which turn into fear and force through political agenda which otherwise would NOT go through. Anyways, I was really excited to hear her and it was a very motivational talk and made me want to learn more about certain instances she mentioned. And if any of you haven't read "No Logo" yet, do so now!

No comments:

Post a Comment