Tuesday, January 1, 2013

365 Days of Animals!




So! I'm doing a 365 project this year, yes I am. This is my way of kicking my own butt into drawing more and drawing different things.  Running your own business is super-awesome, but it's deceiving in that you don't get to be as creative as it might look like. There is a whole lot of other stuff involved, like production work (oh my gosh, I print, cut, fold, package so much, it's not even funny), financial/paperwork, marketing/social media, and other miscellaneous. That stuff takes up so much time that most times I find myself really struggling to find time to just be creative.

My solution is to force myself each day to take some time, whether it just be five minutes or a whole hour, to just draw for fun. I don't want this to be a stressful project at all, so my only rule is that I have to draw an animal each day. It can just be a quick, simple pencil sketch, a more detailed pen/ink, or maybe I go a little further and color it in for a more finished looking piece. Heck maybe I'll even break out the actual paints and get back into painting more! I want to keep it open to experiment and have fun.

Why did I choose to only draw animals? Obviously I am a big animal fan and they have inspired me and given me lots of smiles for-like-ever, but I wanted to branch out from the usual bears, foxes, cats, and hedgehogs that I tend to draw and challenge myself with some variety. Also, I find it super-fascinating learning fun facts of animals that I am not that familiar with. So I guess it's a research project of sorts too. I've been out of college for over 10 years now, so I have to make my own homework so that I'm always learning, right?

I made a spreadsheet with a list of 365 different animals (this was actually really hard to make this list! It took forever and ever!) I guess I will just start and go somewhat alphabetical (I think this project would make a really really cool "Encyclopedia of Illustrated Animals" of sorts when I finish, yeah??? *cough* If any publishers out there think so too... *cough*)

Have you ever done a 365 project before? Any tips? I'm pretty excited about this!

xoxo,
Michelle

11 comments:

  1. I love your drawings and this project seems fun. The aardwolf is awesome! Can't wait to see more of your creations!

    I haven't done a 365 project before, but since it's a new year I am thinking about it. Since I'm a cleaning nerd, maybe I'll try how to clean 365 things. Oh, I've got to get to work.

    Also, I think you were brilliant to create spreadsheet in advance! For me, it's hard to actually do something if I have to spend time thinking of what to do. So nice to just have a plan and go with it! Or at least to have something to not go with if you are suddenly find yourself inspired. LOL!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay, thank you! I'm hoping the spreadsheet will keep me in line. Not having to think about what to draw takes away the stress, hopefully! You should go for it a project too! Some people do a project a week for the year, and that def. work with your cleaning idea.

      Delete
  2. Oh Michelle, I'm so excited that you're doing this! It is pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! And you'll have so much work to make new products from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool project, I <3 your aardwolf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another one I'd never heard of - and I LOVE the name "Earth Wolf." Love the little lifted paw, the expression on the face, and the stars and moon in they night sky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ermagerd, that aardwolf is frickin' adorable. x3 Is there any chance you might sell t-shirts of this design? I would absolutely LOVE to wear that on a shirt! o3o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I don't sell tees unfortunately. Sorry!

      Delete
  7. You have inspired me to indulge in a similar project - I am making animal art cards every day. I credited your blog in my first entry - so I hope you do not mind me stealing your idea and some of the species. I will be drawing an aye-aye though in my AM's. Love my lemurs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks and no I don't mind at all! Good luck on your project! xo

      Delete