Wednesday, October 3, 2012

VeganMOFO: Stuffed Shells and Garlic Knots





I bought Chloe's Kitchen recently, so I've been cooking some things from it recently. First up were the Stuffed Shells with Arrabbiata Sauce. I had a homemade Arrabbiata sauce in Italy a million years ago, that was the best sauce ever, and I'm amazed it has taken me this long to make a homemade version of it. This version was tasty, but didn't quite live up to the memory I've totally put up on a pedestal in my mind. This was pretty simple, but took a bit of time for each component to come together. I switched up her garden ricotta and added cashews to make it creamier. Warning if you have this book and were thinking of making the recipe: there is not even close to enough filling for a shells that are called for! I had lots of sad leftover cooked shells that gave me a sad-face. I hate it when the ratios don't match up!

 I think I want to do a stuffed shells, part 2 later this month, and come up with a different filling. Tofu ricotta is yummy and all that, but I think it would be fun to come up different fillings, ones that have more of a texture and flavor. Will report back!

Now let's talk about the garlic knots. These were amazing, super-simple, and Nik and I devoured them. Mostly Nik.  I had froze half of the dough, because it said it made 40 knots (and that seemed like a lot for just two people.) Nik ate most of them and I unfroze the dough the next day to go with our stuffed shells leftovers. Definitely a keeper. Also, it's kinda fun tying dough in cute little knots.  

11 comments:

  1. Is the tomato pissed that her friends were squashed into an arrabbiata sauce? I would be. (I really wouldn't, I'd be too busy eating.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vegan stuffed shells, they are so darn good! Now on to the garlic knots, yes please!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please continue this theme throughout the whole year and post everyday? You are just feeding my anthro habit, and I lurve it so.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes!! I'm having a lot of fun with it and greatly amusing myself...

      Delete
  4. Hahaha Celine. I was thinking the tomato was crushed after a breakup ;)
    Garlic knots, there would not be any left to freeze in our house. Delicous post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't very interested in this book at first, but now I'm curious to check it out. Also, thanks for the ratio warnings - so annoying!

    I love the drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I really need to make a huge plate of pasta and some garlic knots soon...perhaps something similar will pop up in my cookbook challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this book but these are two recipes I am yet to try, mostly because I have never seen giant gluten free pasta shells :/ Love the toothy tomato and the fancy garlic guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those knots look tasty tasty tasty! (Still loving the photo friends, too, keep up the awesome work!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a really cute blog! And the food looks wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to have found your adorable blog via Vegan MoFo where I am also participating. Chloe's Kitchen might be my all-time favourite cookbook, everything I've tried of hers has worked out deliciously. Thanks for the tip about the shells vs filling ratio!

    ReplyDelete