Thursday, October 8, 2009

VeganMoFo Day 08: Sprouts!



Sprouts totally excite me! And they're so CUTE! Some serious magic here; Soak your beans overnight, drain the next morning, and then leave them out in a jar covered with cheesecloth on your counter for a few days (I usually tip the jar on it's side, so there is maximum air exposure). Take care to rinse them a few times a day (I usually do it when I get up in the morning, when I get home from work, and then before I go to bed). They grow so quick too! The final sprouts on my salads were after 3 days, but I guess that depends on where you live, humidity, etc. This week, I sprouted lentils and pinto beans, but the sky is the limit (except black beans, I heard they're not so good for you, but I could be completely wrong). Even nuts! I've yet to try those.


3 comments:

  1. I love sprouts too! It does seem very magical I really should do it more because it is a great way to eat healthy for cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and kidney beans: they'll kill you if you eat them raw

    ReplyDelete
  3. well... make you super sick

    ReplyDelete