Sunday, October 18, 2009

VeganMoFo Day 18-Iron Chef Challenge #2: Lemon and Ginger




This weeks Iron Chef challenge was hard and easy all at the same time, with lemon and ginger as the key ingredients. Easy, because it's lemon + ginger, which already is a total flavor marriage, but hard because it was really hard to narrow it down what to make. Let the wild rumpus start! (sorry, I've been all about Where the Wild Things Are this weekend.)


C, from Cardamom and Cast Iron, was super-ambitious and made TWO entries for this week, Lemon-ginger Muffins and Pomegranate-Lemon-Ginger Syrup. I'm a firm believer in adding fruit to sweets or alcoholic drinks and calling it a healthy, merry day.



Veg-in-Training made a spicy sour soup, that I am coveting big time on this gloomy, feeling-a-cold-coming-on sunday evening. Yum!


Laura, from Peace by Pastries, made the most perfect looking Lemon-ginger scones I've ever seen. Mine are usually blobs (of yum), and not the perfectly sliced triangle beauties here. I saw these earlier this week and it inspired me this morning to make scones and tea. Best breakfast!


Kip, from Messy Vegetarian Cook, shared a cough-curing tea that is totally delicious (I used up the rest of my lemon and ginger and had four cups of it this morning!)


Ohhh, and Joan, from The Geeky White Girl, made Glazed Lemon Drop Cookies with Crystallized Ginger. Um, YUM! Lemon cookies are the best and totally underrated.



I couldn't decide what to make all week, until saturday came and I had a sweet-tooth craving (this always happens right when I should be doing some work or something and I drop it all to make something sweet. Don't mess with my sweet-tooth). I have an underused bundt pan (and bundt pans should never be underused!!), so lemon-ginger bundt cake it was. I doubled the golden vanilla cupcake recipe, from VCTOTW, and added in lemon zest from two lemons and grated ginger from a 2" piece. I put the ginger through my garlic press and just got the yummy juicy bits and not the hairy fiber parts. I winged the icing, using just lemon juice, ginger, and confectioners sugar until it reached a goopy consistancy. Nik inhaled half of this cake after it had been out of the oven for only an hour!




Stay tuned for next week's challenge!
xo

6 comments:

  1. I totally actually did this challenge! But as I suspected, the post for it did not end up going up this week. It's going up on Tuesday. I'll give you the link when it does! It was curried barley and lemon ginger tofu... which sounds fancy and would have been if I hadn't effed it up. D'oh! Oh well. It was still edible, at least. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way, your bundt cake looks freakin amazing! How long did you bake it for? I always want to turn cupcake recipes and stuff into other forms, but I never know how long to bake them for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they all look good but your cake looks so moist and syrupy, want some now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. d'oh, i did this challenge as well! i will post tomorrow...i made a lemon ginger thai curry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Everything looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ADORE that picture, it is one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete