Sunday, October 25, 2009

VeganMoFo Day 25-Iron Chef Challenge #3 Results: Apples + PB!



This week's challenge was apples with peanut butter. Hello childhood snackage and delicious fall combo. I don't know about you guys, but I'm up to my ears in apples, so I'll prolly be making a few of these this week. Let the challenge begin!

The Republic of Bunny whipped up an Apple Peanut Butter Dessert Chimichanga for this week's challenge. Holy smokes! Chimichangas always make me say that. Giant wrap of deliciousness!


Tami, from Vegan Appetite, made the most mouth-watering Apple Peanut Butter Fritters. Perfect fall festival food!



Veg-in-Training went for some breakfast decadence with her Apple Cinnamon Scones with a Peanut Butter Glaze. Just look at that glaze!


Megan, from Down Home Vegan, made the ultimate comfort pie with her Honeycrisp Apple Crisp. Apple crisps are the best, and I can only imagine PB as a bonus for the taste buds.



Laura, from Peace by Pastries, made a Local Apple Pie with a Peanut Butter Shortbread Crust and Peanut Streusel Topping. Look for it soon on her blog!

Geeky White Girl made some Apple Peanut Butter Brownies that will be posted on her blog tomorrow! Holy drool!


I wanted cookies in bar form, so that's the route I went. A little on the crumbly side, but Nik and I inhaled them in a day, so I must have done something right.

Peanut Butter Apple Cookie Bars:
Ingredients:
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar (brown sugar would be good here too, but I was out!)
1/2 cup Peanut Butter ( I used natural creamy PB)
1 tsp. Vanilla

1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp corn starch

2 cups diced apples

1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a baking dish (I used an 8"x11.5" one)
2. Cream oil, sugar, PB, and vanilla together until smooth and creamy.
3. Add in Baking powder, salt, flour, and corn starch and stir until well-combined. It will be crumbly.
4. fold in apples
5. spread dough into baking pan and smooth down
6. Bake for 35 minutes (dough was still soft coming out, but crisps up a bit after cooling. )

They're crumbly, but highly addictive!

Hmmm...stay tuned for the last challenge of VeganMoFo!

No comments:

Post a Comment