Wednesday, October 7, 2009

VeganMoFo Day 4: Grilled Cheez and Tomato Soup




I've been wanting to try homemade tomato soup for awhile now, but I can't bring myself to make soup in the summer and I'm not so into the cold soups. This week was seasonably cooler, and was perfect for a yummy soup/sammich combo for dinner. Tomato soup automatically goes with grilled cheese, and I had been wanting to try the Ooey Gooey Grilled Cheez recipe from the Uncheese Cookbook. This dinner was written in the stars, my friends.

I didn't follow a recipe for the tomato soup, just kinda winged it, but here's a loose list of ingredients that I used:
2 large and 1 small heirloom tomatoes
2 1/2 cups veggie broth (homemade!)
1 roasted red pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 small or 1 medium red onions
Basil, thyme, sea salt, pepper to taste

I blended everything up and simmered on the stovetop for about 30-45 min., adding a little soymilk in towards the end for some creaminess. Nik thought it was thin, but he's used to canned tomato soup with milk, while I prefer it on the thinner side with water or broth.

Grilled Cheez was yummy!


2 comments:

  1. Okay, I LOVE that drawing! Perfect comfort meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. V.cute soup drawing and I LOVE tomato soup but I never make it, so now I will have to try your recipe out.

    It's cool here too so tonight I am planning soup for dinner, I might need a sandwich to go with it!

    ReplyDelete