Sunday, October 11, 2009

VeganMoFo Day 11: Iron Chef Challenge #1 Results!






This week's Iron Chef Challenge featured the lovely Okra and horseradish combination, and there were some beauties submitted. Everyone seemed to have the similar idea of stuffing/breading the Okra and making some sort of horseradish creme to go with, but there were still different ways to go about this idea.

Geeky White Girl kinda took my breath away with her Beer Batter Fried Stuffed Okra with Blue Cheeze Horseradish Dipping Sauce. Hello okra wing night!


Veg-in-Training doesn't even like okra, but rose to the challenge to make something that even okra-haters will go gaga over with this super-meal. I'm super-envious of her amazing cornmeal crust. I can never get mine to look like that! Cornmeal Crusted Stuffed Okra served with Durty Rice Cake and Creole Sauce:



Cardamom and Cast Iron shared my same concerns about the slime factor with okra, but she knocked it out of the park with her amazing Spicy Cornmeal-Crusted Okra with Dipping Sauce. That crust! Yum!


Peace By Pastries gets super-points for being the only one to deviate from the stuffed/breaded route for this challenge, with her Crispy Okra Fritters with Horseradish Creme. Fritters are like, the best thing ever. Holy salivating!


I stuffed mine with a horseradish-cashew creme (I actually ruined my appetite because I noshed on this too much while prepping, d'oh!). Sooo addictive; I just took the Cashew Ricotta recipe from VCON and added about 6 TBS of horseradish. I breaded the okra with a panko herb crust, and baked it up all crispy like. Delicious! I was a little frightened by this challenge, as my only experience with okra has been of the slimy frozen variety, but fresh okra is a whole 'nother ballgame and worth messing around with. And ohhh, horseradish is a PERFECT pair for this lovely vegetable.


If I missed anyone, apologies all around, and feel free to post them in the comments! Stay tuned for next week's challenge shortly!

5 comments:

  1. Your looks great! I'm going to have to play around with the cashew ricotta for savory applications.

    Well done, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Those all look amazing! NOM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this challenge! The ingredients were amazing and every entry I saw just had me positively drooling over the keyboard. Yours is no exception and I just know I'm gonna try these recipes out - ALL of them. I LOVE okra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of this are so creative! Everybody did such a great job. I really want some okra now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I mean, Wow! I looked at that challenge and said, OMG, that's much too difficult. Obvs all of these people are much braver and more amazing than me! And given that I actually love okra, can all of them come to my house and cook some for me yes please thank you?

    ReplyDelete