Sunday, October 4, 2009

VeganMoFo Day 4: Pickle Day!




Today was pickle day around my apartment! I've been experimenting with refrigerator pickles in the last few months, and I thought I'd share with you my recipe I have been working with. I love that you can pickle almost any veggie! So far I have done cucumbers, beets, radishes, cabbage, garlic, and onions. Mmm. I think the grape leaves are key for really crisp pickles.

Garlic Dill Pickles (Fills approx. 3 old pickle jars)

Ingredients:
2 cups vinegar
6 cups water
4-6 gloves garlic
2 TBS. Coriander
2 TBS. Whole peppercorns
1 - 1 1/4 cup salt
2 cups loosely packed fresh dill

2 grape leaves per jar
Various things to pickle: cucumbers, radishes, beets, cabbage, etc. chopped to fill 3 jars, leaving a little room for brine, etc.

Directions:
1. Sterilize jars by submerging them under boiling water for a minute or two. I use a long wooden spoon to scoop them in and out of the water. Careful! Don't forget the tops too.
2. Combine top ingredients (not the grape leaves and not your veggies), in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5-8 minutes.
3. While boiling, stick two grape leaves in the bottom of each jar, and place chopped veggies on top.
4. Pour boiling brine into jars, filling almost to the top, leaving a little air space. Close jars and let cool.
5. Refrigerate!

I usually try some after 1 week, but they definitely get more intense as the weeks go by. Play around with ingredients! I added some ginger in the ones I made today.





3 comments:

  1. Pickled things are so delicious. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drawings are killing me! I love old man Pickle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making refrigerator pickles recently too! It was one of things that when I made it (and it turned out!) it made me feel like a culinary-superwoman. simple pleasures :)

    ReplyDelete